Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: Revlon Colourburst Lip Butter

You may have seen these in another post that I've done, but I've purchased some more and figured I would do another review on them now that I've had more opportunity to try them out. So, with no further ado, here are two of the other lip butters that I own!

Red Velvet
Red Velvet
This is a satin, deep red colour. I've had difficulty finding a shade of red that looks good with my skin tone and the makeup that I tend to wear, but I'm in love with this one. The reason I like it so much is because it leans a little more towards a brownish-brick red colour, and not fire-engine red, which doesn't look good on me. I'm happy to say that I've found my go-to red lipstick! Finally! :)

Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar
This is the only one of the lip butters that I own that has shimmer in it. I want to describe this colour as a caramel shade, that leans towards a more...orangey look? I'm horrible at describing colours, but that's the only way I can think of explaining what it looks like on me. I wear brown shades of lipstick the most often as they suit my complexion the best, but this is one shade that I don't have an equivalent of; it doesn't look as brown as it is in the tube when I apply it to my lips. I'll have to take a photo of it on me to explain the yellowy look it has. Maybe it's due to the gold shimmer in the product. Either way, I like the colour, although I would prefer that it didn't have shimmer.

"Buttery balm + Shiny colour. Buttery balm with beautiful shiny colour to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips. 94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated. 


- Hydrating mango, shea and coconut butter formula boosts lip moisture by 156%
- Pampering gel formula provide super charged hydration and glides on lips buttery smooth. 
- Sheer to medium colour with buttery shine. 
- Available in 20 luscious shades." 
Source

Packaging: I love the packaging on these lip butters. They're conveniently coloured to look the same as the shade of the lipstick itself, as well as allowing you to see the actual colour through a clear section at the top of the lid. It makes it easy to grab out of a drawer (which is where I store mine) and not have to open them all to see what colour it is (like you have to do with MAC lipsticks).

The lid closes onto the rest of the product well enough and clicks shut, although I feel like with enough use, this wouldn't be as secure as it is when you first buy it and could open in a purse. That's not something I worry about very often, but other people might so it's something to take into consideration.

The only thing I don't like about these is that the lid goes almost all the way down over the tube; it only leaves a tiny section for me to grab onto to pull the lid off. I feel like they could have made the bottom section a little bit larger to make it more convenient, but at least it closes well.

Product: As with most drugstore products, you can't swatch these in the store, which means you're more likely to buy a shade that ends up not working for you. It also means that, like me, you may end up buying something that has a different finish than you prefer, especially as these aren't labelled by the type of finish. You're pretty much going to get random colours with shimmer, and random colours without. It's a little bit of a guessing game, but I've actually been lucky with that and gotten really beautiful colours as a result.

The product last a very long time for me (I've worn it all day, eaten with it, and there's still a noticeable amount of product on my lips at the end of the day) and I haven't noticed any smearing or feathering. It, as it claims to be, is moisturizing and with that comes a nice shine (that does wear off after a while).

Again, you're going to either get one or the other with the pigmentation: it's either going to be very pigmented (like Red Velvet) or more sheer (like Brown Sugar). Although all of them show up pretty decently, some will show up more than others, and for that you'll just have to buy them to find out.

Conclusion: I really like these. They have a good amount of colours that will suit a whole array of skintones, as well as various different finishes. I think the packaging is nice and convenient, which a lot of lipsticks aren't. Finally, the product itself works wonderfully and as advertised. Of course, it helps that they aren't too expensive, which means that more people will be able to enjoy them. I've been building up my collection very slowly and so far own four that I use all the time. I'm planning on purchasing more, especially some of the colours that I don't usually go for since I've been so lucky with the ones I have!